Monday, March 24, 2008

Self Promotion

I was reading this Self-Promotion article and it was like reading the struggles I was facing and here I was beginning to think that I was the only one going through this. Self designing is very difficult, I would know I have faced it these past couple months. It is important to be honest in how you present yourself. To ask yourself questions like what you like and dislike and that will answer questions and give ideas in order to create a portfolio that truly represents you and the work that you do.

There are some key points given by Mary Virginia Swanson useful to determine in advance of creating your website:

a) Your graphic identiy or BRANDING must be clear and simple:
b) Your business model - what are you selling? Your prints and/or skills? And/or are you introducing new work about which you will continue to inform the audience? If you teach, do you want to list upcomng workshops? Do you have a book for sale? Do you want to share the comments of others about your work as testimonials?
c) If selling prints, do you want to reveal your technique in making and/or printing the work, and the pricing/editioning structure, or ask that interested parties contact you for this information?
d) If you have gallery representation, will you, or are you, contractually obliged to refer all inquiries to that business?
e) If you have a representative for assignment work, will you, or are you, contractually obliged to reer all inquiries to that firm?
f) Your contact information: do you need to publish your studion and/or mailing address and phone number, or choose not reveal such personal information?


One day I asked my Typography Profesor at Quinnipiac what his feedback was for my business card and he advised that I did not have to submit all of my information at once, that it would be a good idea if I just handed them a card where they had to go to my website portfolio and when they become one of my customers then I will share that information so that they can feel comfortable working with me.

No comments: