Thursday, April 10, 2008

Week 10 - Nontraditional Portfolios and some basics

A nontraditional portfolio is a distinguished feature with often an unusual exterior. The portfolio must match the work and never overpower or upstage the design samples. Out of the nontraditional portfolio’s that I was able to come across in the last chapter of Building Design Portfolio’s I liked the light box created by Chris Dimino it is an eye catching portfolio and interesting way of displaying all the hard work. Having an Interactive portfolio ….. Being able to have an Interactive portfolio or a website is essential because anyone that has internet connection can view it at no matter what time in the day “a well-designed website is a great vehicle for showing both a designer’s style and areas of expertise”. That is why having a portfolio is so important in this field, keep it update, keep it interactive, keep it interesting. You should visit the sites of my favorite design examples that were used in this book: Amber Frid-Jimenez and Louise Fili LTD.

The development basics now that I have collected all of my work and know that I want my portfolio to impress the viewer I need to go back and look at my master listing. According to Chapter 10 in Designing a Digital Portfolio I need to set the foundation and it’s composed of 1) An appropriate technology, 2) a structure and 3) a visual concept for your interface. This chapter kept on explaining the many different types of portfolios you can design and explained the basics of what a static pages are and a simple motion or interaction site. Descriptions on weather to use web versus portable portfolios and while thinking about all that coming up with a metaphor. A couple of the metaphorical concepts given were: Gallery, Spec sheet/brochure, Outreach, Narrative, Diary, and Experience. While thinking about which metaphor to use it can be "Welcome to my gallery" or pick the project that best describes your skills or instead of displaying interactivity then to consider a slideshow of the best work you own like So Takahasi.

No comments: