Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Week 9 - Professional/Student Portfolios & creating written content

Looking through all of the photographs of the work many have done in Building Design Portfolio. I was able to see how many different ideas are out there and how unique most of the portfolios and projects are. Not mattering if they were done by a professional or by a student, they were different styles, different sizes, and a combinations of different color. It made me realize that I also need to work on some projects that will increase my ideas and create my own style. I was thinking about a collection of photographs and combining them with one of my hobbies, scrapbooking. My favorite accessories for scrapbooking are the eyelets if I can come up with a variety of postcards like a series and keep the viewer’s attention and waiting to receive my postcard. I was also thinking some sort of puzzle combination and since the postcards will be a series they must have all 6 of them in order to make out the complete picture of the secret puzzle.

Creating written content (Chapter 9 Designing a Digital Portfolio)

This is a difficult task especially for those designers whom do not like writing as much as they like designing. An easy tip given to this issue was to “design a portfolio with no written content- just your contact information.” Although somewhat risky it can be a solution to presenting animations but not so god when presenting designs. This chapter helped me focus and figure out how much text my portfolio really needs. People want to know about your career or education, the viewer needs to be able to sense who you are, the right text in the right place can help them do that

What you will need to write about:
• Identify your work - Descriptive title
• Introduce yourself – include some personal information either by a resume, a short biography or cover letter
• Explain your ideas and process – Design brief, case study, processing comments, and Philosophy
• Speak directly to your audience – “Adapt vocabulary and style to whom you are writing to from suits to a small design studio or to a highly-focused niche audience.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice blog customization, M!